High Country Christmas Bird Counts
- WHAT? Count birds!
- WHERE? In a circle 15 miles in diameter, at several locations (see list below).
- WHO? Every able-bodied person who likes wildlife!
- WHEN? A single day near Christmas, between 12/14 and 1/5, determined for each count.
- WHY? Know nature without harm, gather useful data
- HOW? Count and record all birds on count day, inform compiler.
Audubon’s Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is “the nation’s longest community science bird project.”
Five CBC circles are in the area served by HCAS.
(Click on a count name below for further details)
|Name||General Area||Contact||Count Date||Circle Map|
|New River||Sparta, NC||Lisa Benish||MAP|
|Stone Mountain||Stone Mountain SP, NC||Guy McGrane||12/19/21|
|Mount Jefferson||West Jefferson, NC||Guy McGrane||12/14/21|
|Upper Yadkin Valley||Wilkesboro, NC||Guy McGrane||1/5/22|
|Grandfather Mountain||Boone, NC||Judi Sawyer||MAP|